Edit: We have included all of the released players below.
The Cleveland Browns have until 9 p.m. tonight to cut their roster down to the league limit of 53 players, and there have already been a few surprises, mainly quarterback Seneca Wallace and tight end Evan Moore.
Wallace was embroiled in a competition with Colt McCoy, but McCoy’s performance in the preseason (and his age) sealed Wallace’s fate. For Moore, his chance with the Browns was derailed by a nagging injury and a depth chart filled with tight ends. With Benjamin Watson, Jordan Cameron and Alex Smith all vying for playing time, Moore was simply squeezed out of the picture.
Other players that have been cut include:
– Tight end Dan Gronkowski
– Cornerback James Dockery
– Wide receiver Rod Windsor
– Defensive lineman William Green
– Offensive lineman Jarrod Shaw
– Wide receiver Josh Cooper
– Defensive tackle Ron Cameron
– Defensive lineman Brian Schaefering
– Linebacker Benjamin Jacobs
– Offensive lineman Dominic Alford
– Offensive lineman Stanley Daniels
– Offensive lineman Garth Gerhart
– Defensive lineman Ernest Owusu
– Offensive lineman Jeff Shugarts
– Fullback Brad Smelley
– Linebacker Quinton Spears
– Running back Adonis Thomas
– Defensive lineman Kiante Tripp
– Linebacker Scott Fujita has also been placed on the reserve/suspended by commissioner list
– Safety David Sims was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles for a conditional draft pick