No matter how you felt about the man, you can’t deny the impact former Cleveland Browns owner Art Modell had on the NFL. With his passing, Browns fans are given an opportunity to reflect on the past, but one hopes it is also an opportunity for the city to move on from its painful past.
The Modell family knows the city isn’t necessarily ready to forget just yet, though. His son David has asked the Browns to not honor Modell before Sunday’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles, even though something was originally planned.
It was probably the right move to make. The Browns were in an awkward position and had to make the gesture of honoring Modell. In the end, a member of the Modell family did the city of Cleveland a tremendous favor.
- Art Modell’s time in Cleveland didn’t turn out the way he imagined it would: Bill Livingston (Cleveland.com)
- Art Modell, 1925-2012: He was a sportsman, a showman and a survivor (ESPN Cleveland)
- Art Modell, Influential N.F.L. Owner but Not Always Beloved One, Dies at 87 (The New York Times)
- Art Modell’s decision to move Cleveland Browns haunted him for rest of life (Cleveland.com)
- Modell’s passing a chance for Browns fans to move on (Pro Football Weekly)