- Today was the first practice in full pads with full contact.
- Jamoris Slaughter is not in pads for first day of real hitting to rest his Achilles. Ryan Miller is not practicing due to the concussion. Chris Faulk is not practicing due to his knee. Oniel Cousins is not practicing due to his ankle. Montario Hardesty is working with trainers on the sideline.
– Desmond Bryant sat out the first team drills and was replaced by Billy Winn. With Phil Taylor still sitting out team drills, John Hughes continues to receive first team reps at nose tackle. While the situation may be less than ideal, Hughes and Winn can use all of the first team reps they can get as they will be counted on significantly in the defensive line rotation.
– With Hardesty out, Dion Lewis took the second team reps and got a carry with the first team. Lewis has made the most of his opportunities in shorts and has an opportunity to make a splash in full contact drills. There is talk the Browns would like Lewis to fill a similar role as Darren Sproles did in San Diego under Norv Turner. Later in practice, Lewis juked Safety Kenronte Walker which drew a reaction from the crowd.
– David Nelson getting his first team reps in 11 on 11 drills as he continues to work to get back from a season ending knee injury. He caught his first touchdown in team drills from Brian Hoyer.
– Buster Skrine and Chris Owens continue battling at cornerback with both players making hits and breaking up plays in 7 on 7.
- Tashaun Gipson hurt his shoulder in a collision with Josh Gordon. Gipson returned after getting a quick look by the trainers. Johnson Bademosi would later replace Gipson with the ones due to the shoulder. The collision happened on a nice pass from Brandon Weeden to Gordon at about 15 yards and Gordon did secure the catch getting some cheers from the crowd. Later, Weeden connected with Gordon again in the back of the end zone in 9 on 9 drills.
– Weeden was reported to have had his best day of camp to this point and spreading the wealth to Gordon, Travis Benjamin, etc. He did throw an interception to Joe Haden on an attempted pass to Jordan Cameron in the red zone. Haden had stepped in front to make the play. In a situation which Chud deemed fourth and the game, Weeden completed a touchdown pass to Gordon.
– Jordan Norwood does what Norwood periodically does and came out and had a great day. He is going to have a tough time making the roster but he will put up a fight and could be one of the last guys let go if that is the route they choose.
– Barkevious Mingo blew by backup offensive tackle to get a touch sack on Jason Campbell.
– Chud described Gipson’s injury as a shoulder sprain. He said Bryant had back spasms and is day to day. Hardesty has a hamstring and is day to day as well, but Chud said he was not concerned about these injuries. Also mentioned was that Ryan Miller is in the concussion protocol. Chud mentioned that Dion Lewis had a couple of good plays.