Dec 20, 2015; Seattle, WA, USA; Cleveland Browns nose tackle Danny Shelton (71) tackles Seattle Seahawks fullback Derrick Coleman (40) for a loss during the first quarter at CenturyLink Field. Mandatory Credit: Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports
The more I let myself think about the fact that the Browns forced the 3-4 switch in the first place and let all of there young talent go – Rubin and Jabaal Sheard mostly, but add in Buster Skrine, D’Qwell Jackson and T.J. Ward – then compounded it by paying all of that money and investing picks in replacements – Danny Shelton, Kruger, Orchard, Dansby and Donte Whitner – and it is enough to make you scream.
- Ahtyba Rubin, age 29, makes $1.35 million this year for Seattle, and has 34 tackles (18 solo), two sacks and an interception vs. Danny Shelton age 22, makes $435,000 this year, and has 35 tackles, (19 solo), no sacks and no interceptions.
- Jabaal Sheard, age 26, makes $1 million this year for New England, and has 35 tackles (28 solo) and 8 sacks vs. Randy Starks, age 32, makes $1.75 million this year, and has 27 tackles (12 solo) and one sack (we had to look up Starks by the way.)
- D’Qwell Jackson, age 32, makes $875,000 this year with Indianapolis, has 143 tackles (83 solo), three sacks and one interception vs. Karlos Dansby, age 34, makes $4 million this year, and has 101 tackles (57 solo), no sacks and three interceptions.
- T.J. Ward, age 29, makes $3.76 million this year with Denver, and has 57 tackles (46 solo), with two sacks and no interceptions vs. Donte Whitner, age 30, makes $4.5 million this year, and has 80 tackles (57 solo), 1.5 sacks and zero interceptions.
- Buster Skrine, age 26, makes $1.5 million this year with the Jets, 53 tackles (43 solo), zero sacks, zero interceptions, six passes defended vs. Tramon Williams, age 32, makes $3.7 million this year, 69 tackles (55 solo), zero sacks, one interception, 10 passes defended.
- The Browns have approximately $22 million in cap space available. If they simply re-signed these players, the total is $8.485 million. Dwayne Bowe is making $9 million this year and they would still have $13.515 million in cap space available.
Next: What does it all mean?