Cleveland Browns: 5 teams to call about a Johnny Manziel trade
Current quarterback situation: Sam Bradford (starter), Thad Lewis (backup), Mark Sanchez (backup)
More from Dawg Pound Daily
- How the Browns could maximize Nick Chubb in 2023
- Can Deshaun Watson get to Patrick Mahomes level for Cleveland Browns?
- 3 Cleveland Browns who should see an expanded role in 2023 and 1 who should not
- Is Marcus Davenport on the Browns radar in 2023?
- 5 Free agents from Super Bowl LVII Cleveland Browns should target
The Philadelphia Eagles were another team that Adam Schefter said have reportedly had strong interest in Johnny Manziel, albeit whilst Chip Kelly was still at the helm. Still, they remain a team linked to the mercurial passer.
With new head coach Doug Pederson, the Eagles are another team with confusion at quarterback. Sam Bradford didn’t quite do enough in his single season to prove he’s the man going forward, and the Eagles may be put off by his large contract demands. The Eagles also have a former first round pick and another quarterback known for his love of the night life in Mark Sanchez, who doesn’t seem to be more than a backup at this stage of his career.
Notably, the Eagles have hired former Browns offensive coordinator John DeFilippo as the teams’ quarterback coach. He seemed to think highly of Manziel during his time coaching him and believed in his future as an NFL starter. More importantly, DeFilippo believed in Manziel as a person.
The Eagles might take a chance and think Manziel’s former coach can unlock his potential.