Cleveland Browns: 3 reasons to stay far away from Cardale Jones
By Thomas Moore
This one is a little more esoteric, but the odds of Cardale Jones being a successful NFL quarterback and doing it with the Browns are almost too big to calculate.
More from Dawg Pound Daily
- How the Browns could maximize Nick Chubb in 2023
- Can Deshaun Watson get to Patrick Mahomes level for Cleveland Browns?
- 3 Cleveland Browns who should see an expanded role in 2023 and 1 who should not
- Is Marcus Davenport on the Browns radar in 2023?
- 5 Free agents from Super Bowl LVII Cleveland Browns should target
The Browns have struggled throughout the years when it comes to drafting quarterbacks. The last good quarterback they selected in the regular NFL draft was Brian Sipe in 1972. The last good quarterback they drafted at all was Bernie Kosar in the 1985 supplemental draft.
As for Ohio State, the next Buckeye quarterback to be worth anything at the NFL level will be the first. And when you throw in the fact that Urban Meyer is not known for developing quarterbacks to have success as professionals, and you start to see the folly of thinking that Jones and the Browns are a good marriage.
It is a pleasant fiction to think that Jones could be the player to finally fix the Browns’ 23-year quest to find a franchise quarterback, but that is all it is – fiction.
Jones is the wrong player for this team for so many reasons.
And this weekend as the draft rolls along, the Browns will very likely come to the same conclusion.