Daily Dawg Tags: Cleveland Browns won’t get Cousins says Thomas

LANDOVER, MD - AUGUST 18: Quarterback Kirk Cousins
LANDOVER, MD - AUGUST 18: Quarterback Kirk Cousins /
facebooktwitterreddit

The Daily Dawg Tags brings you all the daily news you need in order to keep up with your Cleveland Browns as well as the rest of the NFL

After spending much of the offseason throwing out reasons for free agent Kirk Cousins to come to the Cleveland Browns, the star left tackle seems to have given up on the idea. On the radio show he hosts wit former Browns wide out Andrew Hawkins, Thomas said he doesn’t see Cleveland forking out the money it would take to lure him to town.

That’s a reasonable assumption because quarterback contracts have gone berserk lately. First the San Francisco 49ers gave Jimmy Garoppolo $137.5 million over five seasons despite him having just seven career starts.

Alex Smith has more experience than Garoppolo, but was considered a mere game manager and his team felt the need to move up from the No. 27 pick to the No. 10 in the 2017 NFL Draft to get his replacement. Smith was traded this offseason to the Washington Redskins and then agreed to a four-year $94 million deal.

Then there was the Saturday extension of Blake Bortles. The Jacksonville Jaguars nearly benched him for Chad Henne, but he just signed a three-year extension that could be worth as much as $66.5 million.

More from Dawg Pound Daily

Looking at those deals, it’s not crazy to think Cousins will want close to $30 million. That’s too rich. Thomas has other reasons Cousins won’t be in Cleveland, and you can read that and all the other news around the league in today’s Daily Dawg Tags. Enjoy.

Cleveland Browns News

Browns Top 5 LB targets in the 2018 NFL Draft

The Daily Dawg Pound series looking at the top five players in each position group continues. This time, Martin McConnell examines the incoming linebackers.

Joe Thomas says Cleveland Browns’ chances of landing Kirk Cousins are ‘out the window’ — Be Axelrod, WKYC.com

"“I don’t think the Browns are going to be a contender because, from my perspective, the people that are in the front office are not willing to pay Kirk $30-$35 million a year to come here for the reasons we outlined before,” Thomas said. “He’s not a top-five guy — clearly not a top-five guy, so they don’t want to throw that type of money at him."

How close were Browns to winning a game in 2017? — Pat McManamon, ESPN Staff Writer

"he Browns finished with a point differential of minus-176, which means they lost by an average of 11 points. That was the worst in the league, by 34 points. They lost six games by six points or fewer, and Haley saw two when his former team, the Steelers, beat the Browns by three and four points, respectively."

NFL News

Blake Bortles gets 3-year, $54 million extension from Jaguars — Michael DiRocco, ESPN Staff Writer

"The deal is for $54 million and could be worth up to $66.5 million with incentives, a source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter. The deal also includes $26.5 million in guaranteed money, according to the source."

Next: No comps for this 'Fixer Upper'

LeGarrette Blount Hopes Jonathan Martin Gets Help After Alleged Instagram Threat — Timothy Rapp, Bleacher Report

"Martin posted a picture of a shotgun with the message, “When you’re a bully victim & and coward, your options are suicide, or revenge” and tagged former Miami Dolphins teammates Richie Incognito and Mike Pouncey in the post. He also put hashtags for the Dolphins and his high school, Harvard-Westlake."