2. Denzel Ward, Cornerback
There’s going to be a lot of pressure on cornerback Denzel Ward this season — and not just because he’s a rookie who is slated to be the No. 1 corner of the team. Instead, Ward will have to deal with not only that pressure, but also the fact that he will forever be linked to another rookie who has the potential to be great.
More from Dawg Pound Daily
- Cleveland Browns critics continue to misplace their judgement
- 3 Cleveland Browns players who don’t deserve another season in 2023
- How the Browns could maximize Nick Chubb in 2023
- Can Deshaun Watson get to Patrick Mahomes level for Cleveland Browns?
- 3 Cleveland Browns who should see an expanded role in 2023 and 1 who should not
Sitting there with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Browns had to decide between Ward and defensive end Bradley Chubb out of North Carolina State. While they had the two ranked closely, Ward was the selection as they felt his position was of greater need.
This was a compliment to Myles Garrett and Emmanuel Ogbah, rather than a knock on Chubb. Still, many fans were a little heartbroken about not being able to see Garrett and Chubb become a dominant force — which they very well could have been.
As for Ward though, he’s off to a great start in camp. He’s been the No. 1 corner and his abilities have been on full display. He’s been going up against veteran receiver Jarvis Landry and hasn’t looked like a rookie.
He may never be a great interception guy, but his ability to cover is second-to-none on this team. He will shadow a receiver and there’s going to be no such thing as an easy catch against this kid.