Cleveland Browns: 3 free agent targets no one is talking about
3. Mario Edwards, DE/DT, New York Giants
The first player receiving little attention that the Browns should consider is Mario Ewards, Jr. The son of a former Dallas Cowboys defensive back, Edwards was a second-round pick of the Oakland Raiders but was released after just three seasons with the team. The Florida State product then landed with the New York Giants in 2018 but had a minimal role on the team.
More from Browns Free Agency
- Is Marcus Davenport on the Browns radar in 2023?
- 5 Free agents from Super Bowl LVII Cleveland Browns should target
- Parris Campbell named as Cleveland Browns wide receiver target
- One and Done: First year Browns players that didn’t earn a second season
- 4 terrible decisions by the Cleveland Browns in 2022
Even so, he proved he can still play as Edwards, who had just 232 snaps for the Giants, was graded at a 70.1 by Pro Football Focus (subscription required) which was his best ranking since his rookie season back in 2015 with the Raiders. According to PFF, he was better against the run than the pass but still managed two sacks while playing primarily on the inside of the defensive line.
His versatility is a big reason the Browns should kick the tires. Edwards is able to play on the edge as a left defensive end, but at 280-pounds he can also slide inside and provide an interior pass rush. Cleveland can use depth all along the lines and a guy like Edwards can be a huge benefit since he can help in more than one spot.
For more grades, advanced statistics and more at Pro Football Focus, subscribe
to PFF’s EDGE or ELITE subscriptions at ProFootballFocus.com.