Second priority: Baker Mayfield
Quarterback Baker Mayfield should also be high on the Browns priority list. Football teams cannot be successful without a good quarterback leading the way. The Cleveland Browns have seen that first hand as they have only had one playoff team since 1999 and have gone through 28 quarterbacks during that horrid stretch.
More from Browns News
- How the Browns could maximize Nick Chubb in 2023
- Can Deshaun Watson get to Patrick Mahomes level for Cleveland Browns?
- 3 Cleveland Browns who should see an expanded role in 2023 and 1 who should not
- Is Marcus Davenport on the Browns radar in 2023?
- 5 Free agents from Super Bowl LVII Cleveland Browns should target
Now that Cleveland has a quality player at the position, they should capitalize and lock him down. Yes, Mayfield struggled mightily last season, but he is still a quality starter in this league and should be in the brown and orange for another contract.
Mayfield had a tremendous rookie season as he threw for a rookie league record 27 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. His last eight games of the year he had a 5-3 record. He gave the city of Cleveland hope.
The Browns can wait a bit to sign their leader. His contract expires in 2023, so there is no rush to sign him this year. They can see how the year plays out and how Mayfield produces and leads the offense. But with any success, Mayfield should be signed to an extension.
The Browns need a player at QB who can keep them competitive and win ball games. Baker Mayfield can be that guy for Cleveland for the foreseeable future.