With the Browns taking on the San Diego Chargers today, we talked to Ernie Padaon of Bolt Beat about the team’s consistent inconsistency and how they’ll fare in Cleveland. To see my Q+A about the Browns, check out Bolt Beat here.
1. The Chargers are notorious underachievers. Has Norv Turner worn out his welcome in San Diego yet?
We hoped he was gone last season. Some wanted him out before that. With every wrong step, we yell FIRE NORV! People even yell at him when we win games. He definitely has worn out his welcome. He needs to win! And now!
2. This is a question also asked all the time: is Philip Rivers a quarterback who can take the Chargers to the Super Bowl?
Not the way he has played in the past season and a half. He needs to get back to protecting the football and playing like a Pro Bowler. The weapons around him are not the same and the protection up front has struggled. He needs to step up.
3. Who has been the Chargers’ most valuable player this season?
That is a tough call. Mike Scifres? The punter! The team has been inconsistent and it is hard to select anyone that stands out from the bunch.
4. What is the biggest matchup in this game?
Watch your passing game vs our secondary. We have given up some big plays in the passing game and need to step our game up. Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason on the corners will need to keep pace with your receivers.
5. What is your prediction for the game?
We NEED this game for confidence. We NEED this game for hope. We NEED this game for so many reasons, but history shows that we struggle when we NEED a win. We will struggle but still will sneak out of Cleveland with a win. It won’t be pretty though.