Browns News and Notes for 7/27
Sep 9, 2012; Cleveland, OH, USA; Cleveland Browns tackle Ryan Miller (60) sits on the bench against the Philadelphia Eagles during the fourth quarter at Cleveland Browns Stadium. The Browns lose to the Eagles 16-17. Mandatory Credit: Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports
– Practice was moved indoors due to inclement weather. As a result, they only went in shells as opposed to full pads.
– Fullback Brock Bolen not practicing today and is working on the side with trainers due to an injured calf. Offensive lineman Oniel Cousins is not practicing after the rolled ankle from yesterday and Chris Faulk is out with his knee. Cousins will be likely be out a couple of weeks.
– Tight End Kellen Davis and Phil Taylor are both back and practicing. Taylor participated in individual drills but will be eased back into team.
– There was a scary scene at practice as an unidentified player went down was on the field for about five minutes. Practice was stopped, the place got quiet, and the players prayed as he was attended to by the medical staff. The player was identified as an offensive linemen and not one of the starters, but the media was asked by the team not to reveal who it was until the family was notified. The player was immobilized before being taken to the hospital by ambulance.
– Updated later, the player was identified as Ryan Miller, who is at the Cleveland Clinic and is said to be awake, alert and moving all four extremities. The early signs are about as positive as they can be all things considered. Miller, a fifth round pick from last year, is expected to compete for a spot on the team as a backup at potentially both guard and tackle with the potential to develop into more down the road.
– Practice was resumed after the player was taken off after a quick meeting with Coach Chudzinski. And immediately there was a scuffle between the first team offensive and defensive lines. Later, when Chud had an update, he stopped momentarily to let the players know the updated information of Miller’s condition.
– Barkevious Mingo was wearing a full on neck roll, but was able to intercept a pass twenty yards down field on a pass from Brian Hoyer. Mingo was going step for step with receivers in coverage at times.
– Brandon Weeden was said have looked sharper today after having a little bit of trouble on Friday. He and Greg Little are taking time after every practice to get in some extra work. Little also put in work with the Jugs machine and was the last player to leave the field house.
– Chud said Miller has a head injury and plans to visit him tonight. He made it sound like things are heading in the right direction with Miller’s situation. The injury happened in a one on one blocking drill and Joe Thomas thought it happened in a head to head collision.
– Chud thought the offense had a better day than yesterday. He seemed to think that having the practices go back and forth to which side of the ball had a better day is an indication of balance and is key.