Thursday Night Football: 1st Quarter Thoughts
On Thursday Night Football the Cleveland Browns face off with the Cincinnati Bengals. The winner of the game will sit atop the AFC North. Both teams are missing a ton of starters which could lead to a sloppy game. The weather won’t help the quality of play either.
Here are our quarterly thoughts for Thursday Night Football:
- Bengals receive the kick, touchback, and get a quick first down.
- Three straight runs to rookie Jeremy Hill get the 1st.
- Bengals forced to use a timeout after four plays.
- Andy Dalton rarely seems comfortable against the Browns.
- Dalton overthrows Jermaine Gresham. INT Craig Robertson.
- Misunderstanding by Bengals give the Browns the ball in the redzone.
- Terrance West starts at RB and gets the carry on the first play.
- More push up front then Browns have been getting last few weeks.
- West is a foot short on 2nd down run.
- West gets third carry, gets the first down. 1st and goal Browns at the 5.
- Ben Tate gets next carry, runs it in for a touchdown.
- Big open lane up the middle gets the TD.
- Browns 7 Bengals 0
- On Third and 2 Browns stop Jeremy Hill short of the first.
- Jabaal Sheard gets into the backfield.
- Personal Foul on ex-Brown Greg Little causes 15 yard penalty before the punt.
- Jim Leonhard fumbled on the punt return. Bengals ball at the 32 yard line.
- On 4th and 10 Bengals have to go for it.
- Weather forces Bengals to avoid the field goal attempt.
- Browns take a timeout to get ready for the huge play.
- Pass incomplete but penalty on Buster Skrine leads to a first down.
- Mike Nugent hits a 43 yard field goal into blustering wind.
- Just barely in, wind will be a story all night.
- Browns 7 Bengals 3
- Fumbled punt and Skrine penalty cost Browns 3 points.
- Marlon Moore takes the ensuing kickoff passed midfield.
- Isaiah Crowell with a great lead block to spring Moore.
- Bogus holding call on Craig Robertson brings the play back.
- Brian Hoyer hits Taylor Gabriel for a 18 yard catch on his first throw.
- Gabriel does his best Andrew Hawkins impression.
- Next play John Greco gets blown up and Geno Atkins tackles Hoyer before he could hand the ball off.
- Outside zone play, Greco tried to get outside too quickly.
- Completion to Miles Austin comes up one yard short.
- Travis Benjamin fails to block anyone, could have led to the first.
- Browns punt.
- Browns defense causing big issues for Andy Dalton.
- Tons of up front pressure from the defensive line.
- Forces a Bengals punt which is shanked for only 25 yards.
- Double Play Action leads to a big completion into Bengals territory.
- Travis Benjamin makes up for his missed block with a solid route run and reception.
- Terrance West gets another first as the quarter comes to a close.
- Browns 7 Bengals 3
More from Dawg Pound Daily
- Cleveland Browns critics continue to misplace their judgement
- 3 Cleveland Browns players who don’t deserve another season in 2023
- How the Browns could maximize Nick Chubb in 2023
- Can Deshaun Watson get to Patrick Mahomes level for Cleveland Browns?
- 3 Cleveland Browns who should see an expanded role in 2023 and 1 who should not
The Browns started off strong with the interception. The punt return fumble as well as a few little plays here and there are the difference between the Browns holding a strong lead and where the game stands right now. Both the offensive and defensive lines are getting a great push. Andy Dalton seems off and really bothered by the wind. The Browns are driving but only up 4 after dominating the first quarter. Have to keep the pedal down.
What are your thoughts for this 1st quarter?