While the Cleveland Browns are set to take on the Dallas Cowboys, we take a look at other games around the league in this week’s NFL bettor’s guide.
At the NFL season’s midway point, it’s time I come clean and confess, especially to anyone gullible enough to bet real money on my picks.
Other than the Cleveland Browns, I haven’t watched a single NFL game from start to finish. There are some teams (Jags, Rams, 49ers, Bills) I haven’t watched a full possession. Over eight weeks – -and I have the Full Metal Jacket Sunday Ticket subscription.
Call it a reason, an excuse, whatever — but that’s why my record stands at 12 wins and 20 losses after last week’s o-fer.
Now that the Indians amazing season has come to a disappointing, but not gut-wrenching conclusion, with the election angst hopefully ending Tuesday and the clocks change signaling it’s football time, I’m slipping into the compulsive gambler’s worst habit — betting more.
Six games, instead of the usual four, all underdogs hoping at least for some back-door covers to “tighten the margin” as the political pundits say:
- Lions +6 at Vikings – Matt Stafford is this season’s Mr. Comeback and when “nice guy, but no genius” Norv Turner just ups and quits midweek, turning the Vikings play-calling reins over to “sullen and clueless” Pat Shurmur, it’s smells trouble in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
- Colts +7.5 at Packers – Hopefully the Real Andrew Luck shows up before the Real Aaron Rodgers does.
- Titans +5 at Chargers — I just don’t see San Diego blowing out anyone, neither do my Charger season-ticket holding in-laws.
- LA +3.5 vs. Carolina — Remember all that hoopla about the Rams back in LA? Fame is fleeting in Hollywood but it’s not a good look when star QB Cam Newton runs to the principal’s office to whine about being knocked around.
- Jags + 7.5 at KC – Like I said, I haven’t seen the Jags but I heard Nick Foles starting for the Chiefs and a TD cover may be asking too much.
- Ravens + 1.5 vs. Steelers – Always take the dog in this rivalry — always.
Sensing a Cowboy letdown after their overtime comeback vs. Philly and a perverse “Tribe loses, but Browns finally win” karma, I was almost tempted to jump on the hometown team Sunday. But I see a Kessler last-minute Pick 6 for a Cowboy cover.
Last Week: 0-4. Season Record 12-20.