When it comes to the Cleveland Browns and their perpetual quarterback drama, when it rains, it actually does pour.
Shedeur Sanders was set to start Saturday’s preseason home game against the Buffalo Bills, but the game was suspended due to heavy rain and lightning before the Browns’ offense took the field in the first quarter. The lengthy delay that followed is just the latest obstacle — and string of bad luck — for Sanders in a quarterback battle the team insists won’t be decided until a Sunday coaches meeting.
ESPN insider Jeremy Fowler reported right around kickoff that head coach Todd Monken was using the Bills game as a “major data point” in his decision on who will start between Sanders and Deshaun Watson in Week 1 of the regular season. Sanders was scheduled to play the first half with Watson getting the third quarter.
“I’m told this quarterback battle is still in full swing,” Fowler said. “Even though Deshaun Watson, the veteran, has had some momentum in the last few weeks, what Shedeur does [on Saturday] is a major data point in the process. He won’t have all the starters with him, but he will have a few guys with the first-team offense going at it.
And I’m told this is how it’s going to go: Head coach Todd Monken will get through [Saturday]. He’ll get with his staff on Sunday. He’ll evaluate all the tape from the last few weeks. He’ll get input from his staff. I suspect by Monday they should be ready to make a decision on this quarterback battle.”
The Browns' quarterback competition feels like a sham after another twist
The obvious problem with Monken’s reported plan is that Sanders is about to make his preseason start in poor weather with next to no starters in the lineup. With the rain already falling during warmups, rookie wide receiver Denzel Boston and linebacker Easton Mascarenas-Arnold were the only projected starters expected to play.
Dylan Sampson and Harold Fannin Jr. are also off to the side.
— Daniel Oyefusi (@DanielOyefusi) August 22, 2026
So, Denzel Boston is the only projected starter on offense who will play today. https://t.co/nx2lEnhKQw
The starting offensive line with Sanders was KT Leveston at left tackle, Zak Zinter at left guard, Luke Wypler at center, Austin Barber at right guard, and Dawand Jones at right tackle. It’s not the greatest look for Monken, who made it a point to keep Spencer Fano inserted at left tackle for Watson throughout the first half of the Browns’ preseason opener against the Bears last week.
Watson also had the luxury of throwing to top pass catchers Jerry Jeudy, Harold Fannin Jr., and KC Concepcion. That trio was not expected to play prior to the game getting suspended less than two minutes into the first quarter.
How exactly Saturday’s game will be a “major data point” for Monken’s quarterback decision is anyone’s guess. As Fowler said, Watson has had the momentum. He got the first preseason start with the actual starting unit and fared better than both Sanders and third-stringer Dillon Gabriel.
Monken will almost certainly name Watson QB1 on Monday. The negative reaction that’s about to come his way from Browns fans will only be heightened by the team’s awkward path to an announcement everyone knew was coming weeks ago.
