5. Can Garrett Gilbert win a spot?
In Week 2 against the Colts, the Browns sat the majority of the starters including quarterback Baker Mayfield. They also allowed Drew Stanton to take the day off, which gave Garrett Gilbert an opportunity to get on the field and show what he could do.
More from Dawg Pound Daily
- How the Browns could maximize Nick Chubb in 2023
- Can Deshaun Watson get to Patrick Mahomes level for Cleveland Browns?
- 3 Cleveland Browns who should see an expanded role in 2023 and 1 who should not
- Is Marcus Davenport on the Browns radar in 2023?
- 5 Free agents from Super Bowl LVII Cleveland Browns should target
Following a couple of shaky plays, Gilbert found his stride and began connecting with the receivers. He played the entire first half and led Cleveland to 14 points.
Overall, he completed 13-of-19 attempts for 151 yards and two touchdowns.
It was the exact type of performance they needed to see from him as head coach Freddie Kitchens basically challenged him and David Blough to convince the team to keep three quarterbacks — with Mayfield and Stanton already having a stranglehold on the first and second jobs.
On Saturday, Gilbert proved he belongs in the NFL, which many fans already believed after watching him in the AAF.
This week, he needs to solidify his place with the team by repeating his performance.
This isn’t to say he has to have identical numbers, but if Gilbert can show the poise and control of the offense he did this past week, he could be well on his way to making the 53-man roster.